Get Moving in May!Posted by Laura Mellor on May 6, 2019 in Fitness Blog, Health Blog | Comments Off on Get Moving in May!
May is a great month to get moving and reset your health and fitness. First of all, it is National Fitness and Sports Month, National Women’s Health Month and Week, and National Bike Month. So, by celebrating these special focuses for the month of May, you will certainly be more active and challenge your fitness level.
National Fitness and Sports Month
Such a great way to start off the summer weather season by focusing on your physical fitness . In other words, the month of May is a great time to challenge yourself, family and friends to be more active. As a result, you will increase your fitness level.
Get more active by:
- Change up your workouts by trying something new
- Set some new fitness goals to challenge yourself
- Connect with family and friends doing something active like a long walk, hike, bike ride or whatever you enjoy
Did you know that regular physical activity increases your chances of living a longer, healthier life? Above all, physical activity is good for everyone's health. No matter what shape you are in, you can find activities that work for you. Therefore, you will increase your overall health and wellness.
National Women’s Health Month and Week (May 12-18)
I like to think that anytime we can step back and look at where we are on our health journey. Since it’s National Women’s Health Month and week is a great time to re-evaluate and take hold of what is working for you and think about making some changes to improve your health. In other words, it's a great time to focus on your overall wellness.
Women's Health month focuses:
- Getting more active so you can improve your health and fitness
- Eating healthier so you can improve your nutrition
- Improving your sleep will therefore help improve your health
- Paying attention to your mental health which is a key component to your health
- Practicing self-care
- Committing to safer behaviors such as wearing a bicycle helmet
- Connect with your friends and family
- Yearly physicals with doctors
National Bike Month
As a distance cyclist I look forward to this time of year as the weather is warmer and more welcoming for long bike rides. While I enjoy spin classes and riding my bike on an indoor trainer, on the other hand it feels so energizing, relaxing and free to be outside on a bicycle.
Before you take your bike out for a ride keep some safety tips in mind:
- Make sure your bicycle is in good working shape; get a tune up if needed
- Wear a helmet and have the fit checked
- Ride a bike that fits you well and is comfortable
- Ride on the right and know the rules of the road
- Signal with your arm/hand when turning or stopping
- Use a bike light to make you more visible
In conclusion, get moving in may by challenging your fitness and improving your health.
Contact me for a free 15-minute consultation on setting new health and fitness goals!